LAST Conference 2014

Submissions for LAST Conference Melbourne, 11 July 2014

Submissions are now closed. Use the options below to find ideas that have been submitted.

Filter the submitted ideas:

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Customer collaboration over contract negotiation. Like, really?

It's one of the pillars of the Agile manifesto, yet seems to be a hurdle when managing contractual arrangements or breaking down departmental silos - especially during times of stress. How can we be true to the Agile manifesto in our commercial relationships?

This session provides a forum to share the obvious and not so obvious factors when managing uncertainty between partnering organisations.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
    • Start wearing that "techie" hat - dear tester

As a software testers its often ok to be non technical.But that is changing, with multi skilled teams testers also have to up their game so to speak to be able to add more value in addition to their lateral,out of the box, and logical thinking. One way to start adding value right from the early stages of development is to become technically more aware,involved and educated.

In this talk I would like to explain my idea of what "being technical" tester means and why it is not scripting only.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Admin →
      • Agile Coaching and the team as a system

Agile teams - after forming, storming and norming – typically come to a state of equilibrium.

The team may accept this equilibrium as good enough even though the team performs at a level much less than its potential.

Enter the agile coach!

An agile coach is not of the team and so is able to view the system from the outside. Then, by working individually with team members and the team as a whole, the agile coach reveals the system of the team to the team.

By pointing out negative feedback loops and reinforcing positive ones, the coach enables a…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • What makes an agile coach

I am intrigued by what makes an Agile coach, what are there KPI's and why should we hire them. How can I ensure I get the right one to meet my needs.
          An interactive discussion to understand what we should really be looking at in hiring coaches. Should there be a hierarchical standard applied to coaches- similar to sports coaches so we know what level of coach and experience we are actually getting.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Demystifying SAFe - why is works

Why does SAFe create such a backlash of negativity, what is the story that the Scaled Agile Framework is actually telling. Why is it that executives "get" SAFe and yet others can't.
            How can we actually use the concepts and the framework for best effect without throwing the baby out with the bath water.
            Understand how to sell the SAFe framework and apply the concepts in SME as well as the larger enterprise

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • What can Australian Organisations learn about Teamwork from Sport?

For a country as mad about team sports as Australia, we arguably take teamwork a lot more seriously on the sports field than we do in the workplace. Why is it that people who barrack for 'my team' (a self-organising unit supported by a coach) on the weekend switch to directly managing individuals and low performing working groups during the working week? What do managers already know about high performing sports teams that can be of benefit at work and what the implications for organisational design and management?

Is drawing analogies with sports teams the most effective way to impact…

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Concrete Experimentation in Agile Environments

A lot of companies fail when it comes to turn change ideas into small and executable steps with learnings as a desired outcome. Agile day-to-day work, such as dealing with retrospective outcomes, becomes very challenging, and whole Agile transitions fail because of this inability to navigate in complex environments. Following a few simple steps to plan, execute, and learn from experiments will provide tangible outcomes, closing the gap between where you are right now and where you want to be with being Agile. If everyone followed these steps, change would be much faster and less feared.

This session will not…

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Comparing Ways to Scale Agile

These days organisations are looking for support to scale their Agile environment. There’s a difference between having one Agile team on its own, or to have several Agile teams providing value to the customer and interacting with each other.

This session will give an overview and comparison of all the different Agile scaling approaches out there, e.g.:
                  * Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
                  * Agility Path Framework (APF)
                  * Disziplined Agile Delivery (DAD)
                  * Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS)
                  * Enterprise Transition Framework (ETF)
                  * ScALeD Agile Lean Development
                  * Tribes, Squads, Chapters & Guilds (Scaling Agile at Spotify)

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Peer Groups in Agile Environments

Within the modern work environment, feedback on one’s own performance is essential - and hard to come by! The employee might receive it once a year, if his line manager is not too busy. But that’s far from what the employee needs to grow and what the business needs to flourish. Without feedback, adaptation and eventually improvement is impossible. Peer groups are an effective construct to provide honest and practical feedback. They are a serious alternative for performance appraisals.
                    In this session, we present implementations of peer group systems in various Australian and international companies, from simpler feedback rounds within…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Digital Storytelling - Lean Marketing Way

Customer attention is now demanding fresh, good and true content for storytelling in global environment. Keeping customer interested and engaged in your services and solutions now demands better and predictable marketing ways.

Digital marketing is new channel of engaging perspective customers however static websites are not enough to impress customers.

Today if digital content is fire than social media is gasoline. Online marketing is now non-negotiable entity. Most small, mid-size and large organizations are attempting to use social media to engage customers however digital marketing demands much more.....

I wish to present:
                      • What is Lean Digital Marketing (LDM).
                      •…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • LeSS - a LAST and Scrum-friendly way to Scale

Can we scale up in a way that is fully aligned with Lean principles, Agile values, Systems Thinking and the organisational design patterns used by most Agile teams?

Large Scale Scrum (LeSS) is a scaling framework that seeks to achieve these goals. Many of the LeSS patterns have been used in scaled Scrum implementations for many years and LeSS has been proven at large scale in both product development organisations such as Nokia Siemens Networks and multi-national corporations such as J.P. Morgan Chase.

With support from the world's largest group of Agile professionals, LeSS is something that you can expect…

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Creating Joy at Work

Do you believe that people who really enjoy their work are more likely to produce a higher quality product?
                          Would you like to have more Joy in your work life?
                          If your answer to either of these questions is "Yes" or "Yes Please!" then this workshop is for you.

As Jim Highsmith has written, the authors of the Agile Manifesto had a goal to "creating exciting, collaborative, fun work environments".

Can such a work environment lead to us having feelings of Joy?

In this session, we'll explore what makes for a Joyful work environment by drawing on the experience of…

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Lean Startup in Enterprise Environment. Is it possible? How can we do it?

How many times we hear from our passionate colleagues that our products/solutions are over complicated, too complex.

Few colleagues go one step further and define simple solutions and when organizations neglect their good ideas and solutions, these individuals start their own products and solution companies using Lean Startup or other approaches outside organizations.

Trend is catching up in Australia too with more and more individuals are quitting organizations to pursue their passion for entrepreneurship.

I wish to talk about:
                            • How existing organizations can define and offer lean platform for passionate individuals to start their initiatives?
                            • How organizations can…

5 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Agile machines in the cloud - first steps into server provisioning with Ansible

Want to keep your working style agile, even as your application server needs grow and change ?

Then you'll need to be provisioning your machines with one of the tools out there - but why take on the weight of Chef or Puppet when you can take a much shorter step over to Ansible.

Ansible is a low barrier to entry server provisioning tool that will have you changing your servers from "pets" into "cattle" in no time, enabling you to recreate servers reliably and make changes easily without interrupting your iteration cycle or putting a speed bump in your…

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Risk Management in Agile Projects: Managing System Fragility To Exploit Risk.

Goals:
                                - To understand how our systems lose resilience and become vulnerable to risk.
                                - To create systems that are not just resilient, but rather actively benefit from unexpected risks or changes.

The impact of the ever changing nature of complex systems (such as corporate environments, or financial markets) is variously referred to as "variability or "risk"". This variability can be "good" or "bad" from our perspective - depending on whether a particular change helps or harms our goals. I provide a theoretical basis that may offer guidance for maximizing the benefits of variability, while minimizing the harm.

Fragile systems…

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • The Emotionally Intelligent Agilist

In an Agile environment, Emotional Intelligence is about
                                  • the relationships we have with our Agile team members,
                                  • the quality of interactions with other Agilists (and non-Agilists)
                                  • our responses to every day pressures.
                                  Emotional Intelligence can be learned, and your EQ (Emotional Quotient) can be improved.
                                  In this workshop, we will explore the key components of Emotional Intelligence through a series of exercises. Most of the exercises are adapted from the work of Geetu Bharwaney, who I met at the International Conference on Emotional Intelligence in London, 2008. Geetu Bharwaney is Founding Director of Ei World, a company…

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Lean Agile Leadership - the essence and the essential

Their is often an essential gap in our agile transformations when dealing with senior management and bosses. The language used and the practices designed focuses on 'managers, frozen middle, hustling for experimentation permission, debating with them for evidence to be agile rather than engaging, and actually serving them a valuable journey.

So I decided to change the conversation and give our administrative leaders and bosses the opportunity to transform their world of work by pulling together leading methodologies on leadership, intelligent business practices and some honest journies in our corporations.

I look forward to sharing my learnings & methods for…

17 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • The Lego Scrum/Agile/Lean Game

Many of us have heard of the Lego Scrum game and there is no shortage of variants to read about on the internet . Now here is your chance to give it a go yourself!
                                      You will have the chance to see first hand how lego can be used to demonstrate through role play the value of
                                      - iterating
                                      - adapting to change
                                      - collaborating
                                      - frequent communication
                                      We have been using our own blended flavour of the lego game to introduce iterative/lean concepts to non-IT teams at our company for the past 12 months and will share what we…

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                      • Stopping the Rot - breaking the Agile "thou shalt commandments"

What is agile, have we lost the plot, what are the messages we are telling our customers now. We seemed to have moved away from the key tenets of the Agile manifesto into this world where consultants are dictating what is right and what is wrong - all under the auspices of what is Agile.
                                        Lets revisit those key concepts of the Agile Manifesto and discuss what they actually mean - do they mean you have to do 2 week sprints or you aren't agile, if you break work into tasks and estimate in hours you are not Agile. Kerphoeey…

10 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Pragmatic Product Strategy: Integrating Strategy & Execution using the Double Diamond

The rise of the Agile UX has seen organisations find effective ways to embed designers within delivery teams to build quality software products. But great products need more than highly collaborative teams and fast feedback loops. Understanding and framing the right problems to solve is critical for successful outcomes and this can be integrated throughout the entire project lifecycle, not just the initiation phases.

In this talk we’ll discuss an adaptation of the Double Diamond design approach, first used by the British Design Counsel 10+ years ago to describe an industry agnostic approach to solution design and execution. Find out…

41 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)